Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Kitchen Must Have's Part 1

Whenever I cater, or have a dinner party, often I am asked what are "my kitchen essentials". You know those simple tools, that don't cost a fortune, but make a huge difference in my kitchen and prep time.

So I decided to do a little write up (Part 1) on the few things I couldn't live without in preparing any dish. Whether it's for hundreds, smaller groups or my family and friends, these are "those things" I use on a regular basis.


Mini Spatulas



I love using these little guys. I find they are perfect for stirring small quantities of sauces, mixtures, scraping measuring cups and even measuring spoons out, and well...pretty much anything that is "small". Now if only I could keep them away from little hands and keep them in my gadget drawer long enough...I would literally use them every single day. They make the best stocking stuffers for anyone who enjoys cooking or baking.



Mini Whisks


Another one of those must have's. I use these about as much as my mini spatula's or come to think of it...maybe even more. I am big on making my own marinades, basting sauces etc especially when it comes to BBQin'. These mini whisks come in handy for mixing in smaller bowls. Another great stocking stuffer for Christmas and they won't break the bank. Quite often you can find them in a set of two just like in the picture.


Mini Prep Bowls w/Lids



I love love love these bowls. Not only am I fascinated by all things mini right now...I've always liked using prep bowls when I am gathering my ingredients. These particular ones are the Pampered Chef Prep bowls that come in a set of six w/lids. I tend to like these the best. I like that they have measures on them. Each bowl holds one cup, with a 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup measure on it too. When I zest, mince, chop, slice, or measure liquids in smaller amounts, these come in very handy. Ready to place all needed ingredients in order into my recipe. Keeps things neat and organized while cooking. Again...nothing that will break the bank but essential in my cooking kitchen!



Garlic Press



Speaking of mincing into my cute little prep bowls...another staple. Not only have I always loved using garlic, I love it that much more now that I have added this kitchen must have. I've actually been using it for years. As a matter of fact, I have about 3 of them. I love them that much. For all you garlic lovers, who don't like to peel those pesky little cloves and try finely mincing it with a knife, this gadget is for you. NO NEED TO PEEL!!! Place the whole garlic clove into the press, press and it comes out ready and finely minced! I've only ever used the Pampered Chef Garlic Press. Probably because at one point I used to sell it. That's not the only reason I love using it. It really is that good. Try it! :) You'll end of loving it too and before long it will become a staple in your kitchen if it hasn't already.




Microplane (Fine Zester)



I am big into adding freshly grated zest of any kind of citrus to many of my dishes and sauces. It really adds to the flavor. You can spend lots of money on a really good one, but honestly, I've gone through a few myself and have found that they all do a pretty good job. The microplane is easy to use. Zest directly into your dishes. Remember when zesting anything, to only use the colored rind. Never use the white flesh of the peel as it is bitter and will add bitterness to your dish or sauce.



Mortar & Pestle



Because I am big into preparing most of my own sauce, spices, etc, I find I can not live without this piece of added heaven in my kitchen. As a matter of fact...I collect them because I find them so beautiful. There is nothing better then throwing a few peeled cloves of garlic, some fresh herbs, a little olive oil and course salt to make your own herb spread for the best topping on crostini. So simple...yet so mouth watering, it's unbelievable. Even more than that, once you start to combine things together in your mortar, the aroma and fresh pungency of what you are creating will have you hooked forever. There really isn't anything like it!!


There you have it. Some of my favorite kitchen must have's. All serve a different purpose. All beautiful in their own right because of that purpose. Especially when so many ingredients serve as your pallet in creating your very own masterpiece in the kitchen. It's nice to have some of those little extra's that help you enjoy what you create that much more!

Until we cook again!

Stay tuned for My Kitchen Must Have's Part 2 where I'll talk specifically about knives. A must in any kitchen :)


No comments:

Post a Comment