Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tomato Base for the Freezer

A while back I promised I'd post the recipe for my tomato base that keeps in the freezer really well and one I use often.

This is a very rough recipe because I often cook without a recipe. Hopefully it makes sense. Just trust your taste buds as you combine.

When ever a recipe calls for tomatoes, I often like to use Roma or Plum tomatoes. I find they are meatier. Now keep in mind that I do this recipe in a huge amount. But it is very easy to cut down.

Approx. 20-25lbs Roma Tomatoes (seeded) and chopped (leave the skins on)
Garlic Head (peeled and chopped)
2 large White Onions finely chopped
1/4 cup dried basil
1/3 cup dried oregano
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Tip: the measurements on the dried herbs are very rough. that is approx. what i used. you can use more of one and less than the other, depending on the flavor you prefer.

Saute the onions and garlic in a pot with some olive oil. Once they are soft and transparent, add your chopped and seeded roma tomatoes. Note: you may have to do this in a few stages to fit all the tomatoes depending on the size of your pot. Add the dried oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Simmer until tomatoes are soft and broken down, stirring often. At this point remove from stove and take a hand blender and blend everything together to a thick consistency. Place back on the stove and simmer until desired thickness of sauce has been reached. I usually simmer it down by about half. Stir often.

Remove from heat. Let cool, and then place in freezer bags, or freezer containers. When I use the freezer bags, I make sure to lay them flat in the freezer. Makes it easier to store bags on top of each other making more room.

Freezer for up to 3 months.

I use it as a tomatoe sauce for pasta, a tomatoe base for soups or chowders, just as a sauce over c chicken, pork and seafood, and even as a marinade in some cases.

The possiblities are endless. It really doesn't take a lot of time, but can save you time when you need a quick base for your meal.

Try adding different herbs and even chili flakes to change the background flavor when cooking.

Hope this will come in handy in your kitchen. It's a must in mine.

Until we cook again :)




No comments:

Post a Comment