Monday, January 4, 2010

Preserves - Lots of Work, but so Worth it

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love fall. Besides all of the wonderful colors, gorgeous trees, it's because it's my time to do some canning. Okay, so some is a bit of an understatement, I do tons of it!! :)

The Farmer's Market's have so much to offer at this time of year. I am amazed every time I go, at the gorgeous new produce they have. And that is exactly what get's me so excited every time I go. The ideas just don't stop coming and I can't wait to get home and play.

So this past fall, I spent another couple of month's canning and preserving. I realize it's taken me a long time to finally post the pictures I promised, but here they are.


Just after I finished roasting my peppers in the oven waiting for me to can them.
Canned Roasted Peppers.
i love having these on hand. to use as garnish, for dips and delicious soups.
those are just a few ideas of where to use them.



This year I thought of trying something different. I'd purchased hot chillies in cans before, so I roasted some jalepeno peppers and then canned them as I would my red peppers.
They turned out great!



Preserved Lemon's
I was so excited to do these this year.
First time doing them and it was so EASY! It blew me away.
Great for lots of Mediterranean dishes. Unbelievable at the ways I've found to use them.
And they look gorgeous to boot :)



Mandarin Oranges.
Again a first for me. Wasn't sure that they would turn out, but they did.
Delicious :)



Apple Sauce and Pear Butter.
Delicious on toast, pancakes, waffles, english muffins, crumpet's and ice-cream.


I can't wait until this coming fall to start the process all over again and fill my shelves with beautiful clear jars filled with delicious produce and sweets.

Until we cook again :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool!! You have great ideas for canning, Make sure you let me know if you ever have a canning class. I would love to learn. I have never canned and have always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete