Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In love with ARTICHOKES!!


Oh how I love my Artichokes...


How to go about choosing the perfect artichoke:
  • The leaves of the bud should be tight, not 'blooming'. You can test this by running your thumb over the top of the bud. If the leaves separate, do not choose it. (the imperial star variety, the leaves on the buds are a little bit more separated)
  • Squish the artichoke lightly...if it makes a squeaking noise it is fresh
  • The artichoke should have some weight to it. A heavier weight usually indicates more water and thus a fresher artichoke
  • Good artichokes should have a little bit of a glossy sheen to them
- the larger the artichoke doesn't necessarily mean it has a bigger heart.



The choke is what you want to get rid of. The heart is where all the great tasting meat is at.
So delicious :)

I grew up eating artichokes a lot. One of my favourite ways to eat them is plainly steamed, dipping each of the outer petals and inner petals in a lemon dressing. Then enjoying the best part...the heart dipped in the same dressing.
OH HOW HEAVENLY!!!!
But here is another of my favourite ways.
I hope you enjoy and add artichokes to your meals.

Carla's Grilled Artichokes

Plan for 1 medium sized artichoke per person ( i can honestly eat 2-3 by myself...i know...i'm crazy)
Pot of boiling water, salted
Fresh lemons
sea salt
olive oil

Cracked Black Pepper and Lemon Aioli:
1/4 tsp Black Cracked Pepper
1-2 tsp lemon zest
1 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 tblsp lemon juice

Preparing the artichokes:

Take the artichoke, with a sharp knife and cut the top off.

Cut the stem off close to base, but not totally off (makes for nice presentation)
Take a lemon, cut it in half and rub the lemon all over the artichoke(s)
Place the prepared artichokes in the boiling water, along with the lemon you just used cut into wedges
Tip: artichokes float, so to keep them immersed in the water, weight them down with a couple of smaller plates
Cover and let boil for approx. 45-50 mins
Tip: you can tell the artichoke is done by taking one of the inner leaves, and if it pulls out easily, and the flesh is soft, it is done
Pull the artichokes out and place on a tea towel or paper towel cut side down (upside down) to drain and cool
Meanwhile prepare the aioli by combing all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside
Once cool, cut the artichoke in half lengthwise


Using a small spoon, carefully remove the choke. Should remove easily
Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt
Place upside down on grill - you are grilling just to add some color and smokiness

Remove, place on a platter, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve with prepared aioli.

So Good. I promise!

Until we cook again :)

3 comments:

  1. I really had NO idea how good artichokes could be!!! I'd only had them pickled & jarred, so I thought that they would be a little bitter... SO NOT THE CASE!! Grilled & dipped in your aioli sauce = HEAVEN. Seriously C, these are my new favourite side veggies.. Thanks to you, I'm seriously in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delish! Definitely need to try these! I LOVE artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I've never had an artichoke before(well I guess I had some in a dip that someone made) Not sure what the choke is still. WHat if I eat it by accident? Is it ok or will I totally notice I am eating the choke?

    ReplyDelete